I've been given the "gift" of a free wind trainer. It came from a customer at my shop who left it behind as a "donation" after the shop wouldn't offer him money for it (we generally don't buy or sell racing and training bikes or gear at our commuter-oriented shop).
No one else wanted it so I took it home.
I have never used one of these and haven't a clue where to begin. Setting it up seems pretty straightforward, though I need to be able to adjust it for 26" wheels. It's a Blackburn Mag-Trakstand. Not sure how old it is but it seems to be in good condition and everything seems to work.
Can anyone point me to a decent online resource that explains the basics of how it works and how to best use it? I'm not planning on really using it much between now and the end of short-track season (only two more races); just gathering info for now to file away for later, so no huge rush.
TRAKSTAND MAG™ 3 DIRECTIONS
1. Fold out both front legs to their fully extended positions.
2. Unthread adjuster knob until RU will not interfere with the bicycle wheel during installation.
3. Install supplied quick release skewer (QR) into rear wheel. Follow your bicycle/wheel manufacturer
recommendations for removing and installing quick releases or have a qualified bicycle shop replace it for you.
WARNING! The mounting cones of your Blackburn trainer have been designed specifically to work with the
supplied quick release skewer (QR). Mounting a bicycle to the trainer with any other fastening device can make it
unstable or result in serious injury.
4. Check the pressure in the tires and make sure they are at or near the maximum rating indicated on the side of
the tire. NOTE: Low tire pressure can increase tire wear and potentially cause slippage on the RU roller.
5. Standing behind the trainer, unthread left hand adjuster knob to retract left cone.
6. Unthread right hand adjuster to retract right cone.
7. Place rear wheel of bicycle into trainer with left side of QR against left cone. Rotate the cone until the there is no
interference with the QR lever. Turn left side adjustment knob until tire is centered over the roller of the RU. Thread
inner lock nut against the trainer frame. NOTE: Once the left cone has been positioned and locked it does not need
to be adjusted again until a different bicycle is used.
8. Slowly thread the right hand adjuster to extend the right side cone and lock right side of QR into the trainer
frame. Once QR is locked in place between the cones thread inner lock nut against trainer frame.
9. Before getting on the bicycle carefully check that it is securely fasted to the trainer by pushing side to side on
the saddle to see if you can twist it out of the trainer frame.
10. Screw in the adjuster knob on the RU until the tire is slightly deformed by the RU roller. NOTE: Putting too
much tension on the RU against the tire can cause premature wear of the tire and stress on the RU unit.
11. Carefully get on the bicycle and start pedaling slowly. Do not make any sudden moves until you are sure the
bicycle is securely mounted in the frame, if loose repeat steps 6-12.
12. The Trakstand Mag 3 provides three linear resistance settings. Change resistance levels by pulling the
resistance adjuster out away from RU and rotating toward desired setting. Release resistance adjuster to set
resistance level “1”, ”2”, or “3”. You can also vary your workout by shifting gears and changing cadence.